Sunday, June 10, 2012

At Hospital CEML


Dermatology is not my strength, so skin diseases continue to keep me humble. I read in one manual that skin diseases make up 20% of outpatient visits in the developing world. That’s more than I see, but there isn’t a day that goes by without at least one patient with concerns regarding the body’s biggest organ. Here are three of many patients I have seen. . . .

This is a young lady who had lived further in the interior of the country for a couple years and came because she was having an itchy rash all over her body (except her head). These lesions were tight and were not fluid-filled.
She had a slide of her blood prepared and reported to have microfilaria whipping around. Diagnosis: Loiasis. Since we don’t have the first line treatment, DEC, available, the royal we prescribed a 3-week course of albendazole. She hasn’t returned, so we hope it worked.


This 45-year-old gentleman has a rash I’ve seen several people with. It started on his shins 10 years ago and gradually has spread up. He had a (successful?) ligature of his veins on the right leg that stopped the spread, but had an unsuccessful attempt on this left leg. He also went a 6-month treatment course for pulmonary TB but this rash continued to spread during that time. He is in the hospital for a skin graft of a part of the rash that had ulcerated; he was treating that area with cow dung—to no avail. He had a couple checks for lymphatic filariasis that were negative (and he’s HIV and VDRL non-reactive, too). Diagnosis: not sure, and we welcome your thoughts! Being a surgical hospital, his skin grafting will be prioritized.


The right leg (like his other side) had a saphenous vein ligation.


We frequently find this strange boy waddling around in our kitchen, getting his hands, feet and face into anything he can find. The lesions on his face tested positive for chocolate. Diagnosis: bagunça

5 comments:

Rachel Van Dyken said...

Praying for you, Daniel and Priscila as you continue to follow God's calling in Africa!

Rachel Van Dyken (former Calvin student )

Anonymous said...

botas ugg baratas vqlftgbp botas ugg espa?a waesicbi botas ugg hisjwtpl comprar ugg online ahgcrosy ugg australia monvsegg ugg baratas pgfhagzs ugg espa?a shddmdbv ugg online gvqkdnrw ugg fxaygjhf

Anonymous said...

I latеly obtained stеρ throаt.
..and that і haνe eхperiеnсed it numerous occаsіons.
..I just let my body adԁгess itself.
On the othеr hand, this time ωаs incrеdіbly different.
It had been the wοrst ρain I have ever had.
..and i was physically unable to get out of mattress.
Τurns out І left it untreatеd too extended.

After і haԁ s/s that have been nοt normal foг myself.

I went to thе ER...turns out I had а ruptured peritοnsillar abscеss.
I do not imaginе I will ever mеѕs aгound ωіth my thrοat again.
..and іdeal noω I've another sore throat. I do not want to be a hypochondriac...I just don't
at аny time need to be ill like that all over again.
I finіshed up misѕing an entігe
two mоnths of class and noω have to hold οut a cаlеndar year to gеt the class oveг.



My web page; visit the next website

Anonymous said...

S ethanol Looking at the fourth quarter coupled with favorable feedstock prices
created very attractive produce and store pv cell definition energy.

New transmission lines need to be built at Magnetic Park, to
the surprise of many, has entered the mainstream in the last decade, indicating the financial community's interest in technology-based energy solutions.

My homepage; solar lights

caleb_marcos@hotmail.com said...

Daniel and Priscila, sou primo da Eliane que hospedou vocês em Itajubá no Brasil. Eu morava em Cristina, hoje moro na Amazônia, espero que se lembrem, mas conheci vocês em CEML Lubango!!! Deus Abençõe!!